At our wedding reception
It's been two years since we were married. Normally this would be my summer, but this year I was in school. Dodger woke up in the wee hours to vomit on the carpet this morning. It was a crazy day of returning student supplies and finishing grading for the sixth six weeks as well as final review questions for their finals the next two days. Then, I had to go to the car place since my oil light came on, only to find out since I've put about 17,000 miles on my car since January I need to have more than just the oil change but rather the transmission changed and tires rotated. That's on my list of "to do's" today. Then off to get Micah his gift. The second year on the traditional calendar is cotton so I supplied him with two cotton polo shirts and a nice silk tie for good measure. He bought me my cotton gifts when we were in Dallas at J Crew (and he knew the second year was cotton, too...precious!). Oh, I also got a homemade card that made me cry. I love things that are from the heart...even though it was funny. Then, back to school to a retirement reception where I proceeded to cry (one of my lunch buddies is leaving me!). It begins to pour rain...I wait and wait and it looks like it is letting up. I walk to my car and what is between me and the parking lot my car is parked in is ankle deep rushing brown water. I am in NEW adorable shoes. I braved it grimacing thinking about what I saw floating amongst it...ick. Driving along up I-27 traffic comes to a halt. I thought...wreck. I move closer. Nope, it is me and about five hundred other drivers stuck as the interstate underpass has flooded. I sit, and sit and sit. Finally, someone gets brave and drives up the oncoming ramp, jumps the culvert and gets to higher ground on the access road. My car on near the ramp so I did the same! Off to home hydroplaning along. Gas light comes on still thirty miles away from home. Get home immediately to get gas, grab a card, and gift sack to get home. It's 7:30. Micah has gone to get dinner (not even fast food, too)...isn't he great. I think I may have fallen asleep at the dinner table and besides I look a mess after wading through and being rained on. I eat. It was good. I shower still feeling disgusting from wading in the murky water. The card I bought was really a perfect reminder of how an anniversary should be--about the two of us. Not about the wild day or the fact Micah had a wild day himself, but a reflection on our love. We dug out the audio cd from our wedding and listened. I cried. He laughed. Those vows we took two years ago are so much more meaningful now. When you are standing on an alter, it's hot and you know everyone is looking at you...it was easy to space out a bit, but now listening and understanding what it means "in good times and in bad, sickness and in health, etc." It just seems so much more powerful. I'm sure as we are married longer it will become increasingly more significant. It's not easy being married. It's hard when we are working in different cities, trying to manage our time to be mutually beneficial, get out of debt, agree on spending and saving, communicate goals and plans. It can just be hard. Having said that, there is no one I would rather work harder for and with. Micah is my best friend and a wonderful husband. I love big things and small things he does, says and is. I love that he doesn't complain when I forget my glass of water and scream from the bedroom to bring me a glass of water just in case I get thirsty at night. I love that he drives when we go places just because I don't like driving. I love that he loves my family and would do anything for them. I love that we tell it like it is...he even told me about my blemish on my anniversary, ha! I love that he loves Dodger and that we cry at dog movies. I love that he has softer feet than me and he lets me know about it. I love that he watches the news and keeps with current events. I love that he is a good friend. I also love the big things, too. Sometimes the small things just get overlooked. Like Micah said best, two years and seventy-five more to go.
Much love,

No comments:
Post a Comment