Sunday, June 20, 2010

38 Weeks, Father's Day

Happy Father's Day! I love my daddy. Growing up he made my breakfast each morning, packed my lunch, took me to school when we moved to Amarillo, was forced into wearing hair clips (ask him about inadvertently wearing a plastic clip to church) and playing Barbies, and then when I was older played tennis with me. I really was never one for the outdoors and didn't take to the rodeo/ranching life like a son probably would have, but he never pushed me into anything I didn't like. Although, I must say--I do know how to ride a horse, shovel manure, have driven a forklift, and used a posthole digger to help repair fence. Laziness is a sin in the Kenner family. My daddy developed a strong work ethic and sense of pride in a job well done. Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

Today is Micah's first Father's Day to celebrate...sorta...what if Caroline really came today?!? Wouldn't that be wild? I did eat Mexican food for lunch...maybe that will get something going. We celebrated with church this morning, delicious Mexican food with friends, and now Micah is napping and watching golf. Caroline, Dodger and I bought him an I-Tunes gift card to keep him entertained on the highway, and what I thought was the Phil Steele magazine on college football. I instead, accidentally bought the Dave Campbell magazine. Another poor gift giving moment...a true football faux pas in the eyes of Micah. He, of course, was really nice about the whole thing trying to make me feel better. Maybe once in life I will have a shining gift giving moment! Nevertheless, Micah will make an amazing father. He has a wonderful dad as an example to him, too. I can't wait to see him in action.

38 weeks. I really didn't think I would hold out this long. WOW! I feel big. BIG. I went to the doctor late last week, and I'm in the early stages of labor cruising around. I suppose this is better than walking into to the hospital cold turkey and sitting there for hours upon hours waiting. I won't go into detail on what all went down at the doctor's visit, but ouch. Micah had a meeting during this appointment so I grabbed the nurse's hand to squeeze. The doctor suggested "that I bring reinforcements next time." I apologized for literally snatching her hand away from her, and called Micah to inform him of next week's appointment time and date and to clear his schedule. I am still obsessed with eating meat. I have eaten a disproportionate amount to my normal diet of steak. Oh, and squash and zucchini on the grill. I really love summer time food. I could eat my weight in squash. Speaking of weight, when I went in I haven't gain any in two weeks. I suppose Caroline is gaining everything I'm eating which is good for her. Plump up! I'm trying to stay busy. I'm not good when I have nothing to think about...my mind begins to wander. For instance, yesterday I had a Mother's of Preschoolers gardening seminar brunch. I came home really hot and exhausted and immediately began whining and feeling sorry for myself for being hot and uncomfortable. After a couple of hours of resting, I got up, went shopping and errand running and came home with a new attitude--a can do spirit. So, I changed air filters, vacuumed the vents, did laundry and dishes, ironed, planted a plant, swept the porch, helped Micah with dinner, and then went over to a friend's house for a game rematch of Acquisition. I lost this time, but at least my mind was distracted into laughing and having fun! I hope my "can do" attitude stays with me.

Much love,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Colby, you're going to be a wonderful mother! Can't wait to read about all your new adventures when Sweet Caroline arrives.
Much Love!