Last weekend, Micah agreed to play in a charity golf tournament at the last minute. His team won the whole thing! Not only did they win the tournament, he also won closest to the pin on several holes and get this, hit a hole in one! His first hole in one! Micah is really very humble and probably has told very few people about this; he donated one of the big prizes back to the charity to be auctioned off at their gala. He sent me a text out of the golf course so excited and came home really ecstatic, too. You know though, it wasn't about the prizes...
(although he did say he was a little bummed when the hole before was the 10,000 dollars cash prize for a hole in one
...this one wasn't!) I think he most enjoyed this hole in one for all the years of playing golf for fun, then playing competitive golf and he went out there relaxed, and confident, doing something he loves and it just worked out. I think the timing made that shot more special for him. Maybe I'm making my little theory more than it really is, but maybe this is a life lesson for me about God's timing. I know that we can want something so badly it hurts, but I need to hold strong that God's time is the best and will make our desires so much sweeter to savor. I tease him that he is good at everything and he can generally top me at anything. I'll let him take his hole in one, but just know that I still am the ultimate thumb wrestling champion around this house, Bud. Congratulations, Micah John!
I've said old friends are like your favorite sweat pants. You feel comfortable in them. They are your favorites. You never throw them out. They are the ones you choose if everything is clean. You hang on it no matter what. A dear friend from high school flew in this weekend. I so enjoyed catching up with her and her sweet momma, Brenda. I feel comforted knowing I still have friends that anything they say or I say we already know about. There's truly something special about an old friend. And, Brenda, I'm so proud of your seven years cancer free...all October I will think of you and your brave fight! You are one of my personal heroes!
Micah also got to see some of his old friends this weekend. He flew down to Houston where he met up with Kevin and Sean to watch the Tech game. Yikes, not a pretty one. Nevertheless, I'm glad he got some good time with his old friends.
Here's to life lessons on a golf course and old friends...they both do something good for the heart.
Much love,
2 comments:
I love you, Colby Leigh!!
I think you hit the nail on the head with the golf/timing analogy. God's timing is perfect. And although it may not coincide with "our timing"...it will be that much sweeter in his perfect timing for our deepest and truest desires to be given to us.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your Heart." Psalm 37:4
Post a Comment