Today was my first day of school as an elementary school teacher. We have to work inservice for the next two weeks before the kiddos show up to school. I remember hearing that elementary teachers are
really into their inservices. My observation was that this was indeed correct and I felt like a duck out of water. I walked in and they handed me stickers to place on "getting to know you" posters. There was a poster that asked, "Are you more intellectual or creative?" I along with three or four others placed a sticker on the intellectual side. The creative side had what seemed like the rest of the elementary district. Then, I was handed a plate and asked to decorate it to represent myself--mine was monochromatic red. The person next to me was cutting up her Starbucks cup to decorate hers along with some of the left over stickers from earlier. I witnessed copious note taking from my table mates. I also saw a politically incorrect themed lesson with song included that I will not be using any time soon but was the hit of the workshop! Next, I was dressed up and I got volunteered to report about forests for our afternoon project. I had volunteered to do the research for the project thinking that would keep me out of the spotlight...forget that...they had twigs coming out of my pants, hair, shirt--I was a leafed wonder. I can only imagine what the coaches would have said at Evans. I hate speaking in front of people if I don't know them. Everyone knows my voice goes up ten octaves and gets ten thousand times twangier when I'm nervous. I know it is going to get better. It has to...right? I am trying to be conscience of my attitude and the words I speak. No one wants to be around a Debby Downer. I'm working on softening my heart toward change.
I need this construction sign around me,

and hopefully God does a work in my heart.

Much love,
5 comments:
I am sure you are making an incredible impression! You will do great! I guess we will not be close at the games...Section 107 Row 26. But maybe if I look way down the row below us I can see you!
Report on forests???? Oh my. The thing is...I am about to go back to school for my teacher cert. I am debating between middle school and elem. I know I'm not the most creative person, but elem. is kind of where I'm headed. What do you think??? Do you like middle school better?
You are plenty creative. I've seen you sprawled out on the floor decorating your new notebooks for the year. You aren't giving yourself enough credit. You will be a wonderful elementary teacher. I love that twang it is part of what makes you unique.
Please tell me someone got a picture of you as a "leafwonder"! And I would love to hear that song someday. Hope things get better as the week goes on.
hang in there! it will get better, the first day at a new place always is tough, even when you don't have to dress up as a tree. we definitely missed you today, something was missing...it was you! keep your head up...i'll be praying for ya!
Post a Comment