I am a sentimental schmuck (I really hope schmuck doesn't mean anything bad..it's one of those words I use, but don't have a totally clear understanding of the definition...it sounds Yiddish). I wrote about cataloging cards, but I've also been finishing up scrapbooking our wedding (yes, over two years from when I started). I saved napkins, business cards of vendors, coaster, toasts, song lyrics, and even the receipts of bills. Maybe one day my daughter will be interested in her parents wedding. I had a very tearful moment last week. I opened up a picture box to look for cards I may have missed even though it was a picture box. At the very bottom of the box was all the letters and cards Micah sent me early in dating. I thought they were lost when my mom moved out of the house I grew up in Amarillo. I feel so bad; I accused my mom of inadvertently throwing them away. Tears, and more tears. Then, I frolicked around the living room with a tear-stained faced screaming, "Look what I found!" I was particularly excited about one of the notes (the first letter I received as I left Tech to go home for the summer), I read it so many times that the paper was soft. I am not one for clutter, but I love to save precious memories. For instance, right now I'm wearing a super ratty Gonzaga t-shirt Micah had in college that a friend who went there gave him. He wore it over to my dorm room one night and I fell asleep talking on his shoulder. I left a makeup stain the the white t-shirt. It looks awful, but I love the shirt...still wearing it.
Okay, I'm off to work in my classroom; it looks like a frightening disaster area. They have moved much of the hall stuff and the custodian closet into my room as they prepare to wax the floors. Yesterday I picked staples of the cork and woodwork while taking down old bulletin boards. Today will be filled with scrapping tape off of woodwork (the building turned eighty this year) and file cabinets with goo-gone intermingled with hauling more files upstairs. Glamorous, huh?
Much love,
4 comments:
schmuck is yiddish for, uh, penis.
you're such a goy :)
What's a goy then? Ugh, slang words, I need help!
goy is yiddish for gentile.
That I am! Remember, I'm your favorite WASP!
Post a Comment