Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Painted Babies"

In 1995, The Learning Channel (TLC) ran the best documentary ever. It was re-ran it so many times that by the time I was in high school, I had watched it multiple times and could probably recite the lines. My BFF's, Katie and Laci also were slightly obsessed with the documentary. "Painted Babies" followed two families as they went through the little girl beauty pageant ranks until they made it to Supreme Queen. The documentary included: big hair (I like big hair, but this takes it to a whole other hairspray level), flippers (false teeth for those girls who lost teeth), rhinestones, tanning, Southern accents, larger than life trophies, and sponge painted mom clothes (my mom was so guilty, too!). I tried to buy the original "Painted Babies" documentary for my friends, but I couldn't find it. I'm so, so, so excited about "Painted Babies at 17."

It comes on September 7 on TLC at 8:00 PM CST and will replay later that night again at 11 PM CST. I may have to watch it both times...I don't know if anything can compare to the original. After the 8 PM showing, there is something called "Toddlers and Tiaras"...we'll see what that is about.

Here's a quick look of a clip on U-Tube of the original "Painted Babies."

Happy watching! Katie and Laci, I'm sad we aren't in our pj's watching together...feel free to call, but only during commercial breaks, of course.

Much love,

Photobucket

No comments: