When I was a child, I liked church...sort of. My parents were very involved in our church family. I liked seeing my friends at Sunday school and again on Wednesday nights. I remember not understanding what the sermon meant and thought the Bible was very hard to read. I remember before church having heavy hot rollers on my tiny head (note: I did not like this) so I would would have giant, loose curls with some sort of oversized bow (note: I will stick these in my girl's hair, too!) affixed in my hair. Then, we would have the biggest meal of the week, usually a roast or chicken fried steak (note: we ate turkey sandwiches today after church). Sometimes, we would go over to my Granny's house to eat with my aunt and uncle. I loved going to my Granny's. Then, church became a chore. For many years, it was just one more thing I
had to do. I hope I never feel like that again. We have joined a church that is alive. It reaches out to help people that are hurting and needy. I walk away each week feeling renewed, humbled, and blessed. Church makes me think about my choices, words (eeks...my mouth, my mouth), and attitude throughout the week. I thank God for a church family. I hope that if you don't have this renewal in your life that you would step out of your comfort zone and seek a family that makes you feel anew. It was a road for us to find and join a church, but we both feel rewarded in our daily lives.
Much love,
2 comments:
I feel the same way about our church. In some ways they are more family to us than some of our actual relatives. I am happy for you guys.
I love actually looking forward to church...something I never did growing up. I am glad ya'll found somewhere to 'belong'...No matter what I always leave church feeling a little better about everything and more hopeful...nothing better! I hope to see you tomorrow at the shower!!!!!
Post a Comment