Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sweet and sour pickles

I was squirming in the padded church pew on Sunday morning. It came time for the children's message; I watched as the little boys in shorts and sweet little girls in fluffy dresses perched on the steps around the pastor. Then, he pulls out two types of pickles. He asks the children about sweet pickles and sour pickles. He said sour pickles are those people who are selfish, self-centered, and don't help others--sour. Sweet pickles are kind, thoughtful, caring, and reaches out to others. If we were just talking about taste, I'd pick the sour pickle, but unfortunately, I often act like the sour pickle. The children went back to their seats and then the message began. He talked about reaching out to others--helping people of lower position in life. I given money here and there, and I've bought for the angel tree, but I cannot recall where I have made a personal difference. To add to my guilt, I was walking into church, a bit tardy, and someone asked directions to a Sunday school class. My sense of directions was off and I didn't know where we were going and I wasn't very helpful, and he was on crutches with a homeless looking man walking next to him. Instead of looking at this moment to be positive and a chance to be an imitator of Christ, I acted like an annoyed brat. To sum up, this sour, selfish pickle needs to change her ways and reach a helping hand to others. I have a long way to go. Jesus was not hanging out with the prosperous, well-educated. Isn't that the goal--to be Christ-like?

Much love,

Photobucket

1 comment:

Monica Curry said...

You're so cute. I needed that - thanks for the inspiration! Braidy and I are going to try our hardest to come to lunch next Monday...he really wants to meet you!!!